Published 5 years ago on April 27, 2018
Table of Contents
- 1. Anguilla - 666.7 per million residents
- 2. San Marino - 33.3 ATMs per million residents
- 3. Liechtenstein - 25 ATMs per million residents
- 4. Austria - 17.6 ATMs per million residents
- 5. Canada - 13.6 ATMs per million residents
- 6. Guam - 12.5 ATMs per million residents
- 7. Aruba - 10 ATMs per million residents
- 8. Malta - 6.8 ATMs per million residents
- 9. United States - 5.6 ATMs per million residents
- 10. Slovenia - 4.8 Bitcoin ATMs per million residents
- Bitcoin ATM Density per 1,000,000 Residents By Country*
1. Anguilla - 666.7 per million residentsBitcoin ATMs per million: 666.7 Number of Bitcoin ATMs: 1 Population: 15,000 Located in the middle of the Caribbean, you might associate Anguilla with snorkeling and pristine beaches - not Bitcoin. So, it may surprise you to hear that the government was the first to lead initial coin offering (ICO) regulations in late 2017. The hope was to create a harbor and lure startups to the island, a common trend among Caribbean islands. The capital, The Valley, is home to the countryâs only Bitcoin ATM. The next closest ATM is a plane ride away in La Romana, Dominican Republic.
2. San Marino - 33.3 ATMs per million residentsBitcoin ATMs per million: 33.3 Number of Bitcoin ATMs: 1 Population: 30,000 The microstate, completely surrounded by Italy, takes the number two spot. If you havenât heard, this tiny republic recently announced plans to become the next blockchain hub. They plan to partner with an Estonian tech group to build the infrastructure. Pretty cool news for the oldest country in the world. The only ATM is in Dogana. Doganaâs in the northeastern region of San Marino.
3. Liechtenstein - 25 ATMs per million residentsBitcoin ATMs per million: 25 Number of Bitcoin ATMs: 1 Population: 40,000 Liechtenstein is one of the smallest countries in the world - in both population and landmass. So, of course, 1 Bitcoin ATM drastically changes their ranking. But, because its so small, its denizens are never more than eight miles away from an ATM. Recently, the government has boasted that it will not overly regulate Bitcoin, making it an attractive option for residents. A local bank even allows you to invest in cryptocurrencies - the first bank in the world to do so. The sole ATM is in Raduz - the capital on the Rhine River. Youâll find it in a jewelry shop in the city.
4. Austria - 17.6 ATMs per million residentsBitcoin ATMs per million: 17.6 Number of Bitcoin ATMs: 153 Population: 8,700,000 Coming back from a huge Bitcoin scam in early 2018, Austria now seeks to better regulate the cryptocurrency. All 153 Bitcoin ATMs are staying for now, though. ATMs are scattered throughout each major city. Â Vienna has the most - 59, Graz has 26, and Innsbruck has 19.
5. Canada - 13.6 ATMs per million residentsBitcoin ATMs per million: 13.6 Number of Bitcoin ATMs: 493 Population: 36,300,000 Canadians go crazy over Bitcoin. Over the last year, Canadians jumped into the markets and some have even said Canada might be the next mining hotspot. Although sixth on this list, Canada takes the second spot for the number of ATMs in its country - a staggering 493. Youâll find the highest concentration of ATMs along the Canadian-US border. Each province has at least five ATMs, but you wonât find any in the northern territories.
6. Guam - 12.5 ATMs per million residentsBitcoin ATMs per million: 12.5 Number of Bitcoin ATMs: 2 Population: 160,000 Tucked away in the Pacific Ocean near the Philippines and Indonesia, Guam may be the most remote island in the ranks. The US territory is also the 25th least populated nation in the world. Both ATMs can be found on the central western coast within mere miles of each other. The first is in Tamuning and the other is in the Dededo, the capital city.
7. Aruba - 10 ATMs per million residentsBitcoin ATMs per million: 10 Number of Bitcoin ATMs: 1 Population: 100,000 With 10 ATMs per million, Aruba takes the seventh spot. It ranks because itâs just like the other tiny island nations with one ATM and a small population. But, it makes sense because,Â in Aruba, youâre probably never more than eight miles from the sole ATM on the island. It can be found in the northwest corner of the capital city Oranjestad. If you catch it when itâs closed, youâre out of luck. The next closest ATM is over 400 miles away in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
8. Malta - 6.8 ATMs per million residentsBitcoin ATMs per million: 6.8 Number of Bitcoin ATMs: 3 Population: 440,000 Malta, the tiny island in the Mediterranean sea, best known for its beautiful beaches and offshore bank accounts, comes in at number eight with 6.8 Bitcoin ATMs per million residents. The country has the second lowest population in the European Union - it sits just under half a million. The ATMs themselves will be found in two cities. St. Julianâs, an old fishing town, has two. Sliema, a close drive to St. Julian, has one.
9. United States - 5.6 ATMs per million residentsBitcoin ATMs per million: 5.6 Number of Bitcoin ATMs: 1,825 Population: 325,700,000 The United States has the highest number of Bitcoin ATMs of any country. And itâs not even close; theyâve got every other country beat by at least 1,000 ATMs. But, the US doesnât top this list. In some areas, theyâre few and far between. Like most other cities, youâll find the largest concentration of ATMs in the most populous cities. The New York City has about 151 ATMs, Chicago has 251, and Los Angeles has 233. Their presence completely lacks in more rural states like Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming,Â and Oklahoma, among others.
10. Slovenia - 4.8 Bitcoin ATMs per million residentsBitcoin ATMs per million: 4.8 Number of Bitcoin ATMs: 10 Population: 2,100,000 With almost five ATMs per million, Slovenia rounds out the list. You might have heard that this year, in Kranj, the worldâs first blockchain monument was erected in the city center. It was meant to represent their propensity to adopt new technologies. Their sheer volume of ATMs certainly reflects that. The largest concentration of ATMs is in the capital city of Ljubljana, located in central Slovenia. It has seven. The rest can be found in Koper and Maribor.
Bitcoin ATM Density per 1,000,000 Residents By Country*
|Rank||Country||Number of ATMs||Population in millions||ATMs per 1,000,000|